VITAL: Veteran Integration To Academic Leadership
Coaching and counseling services for student Veterans located
on the WSU Tri-Cities and Columbia Basin College campuses.
What is VITAL?
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership is a Veteran-centered, results oriented, collaboration between the Jonathan M. Wainwright VA Medical Center and Columbia Basin College and Washington State University Tri-Cities. With a VA Counselor located directly on campus, Student Veterans can access Academic Coaching, Transition Counseling, and Behavioral Health services that pro-mote their Health and Academic Success. We are here to help Veterans succeed in college!
As a Veteran did you know?
- You have access to a VA psychologist on your campus.
- There are important benefits and resources available to you.
- You have someone who can help you with VA services.
What to Expect
- Prompt attention to contact made to the VITAL program.
- VITAL will adhere to all privacy standards with respect and sensitivity.
- Maintain a Veteran-centered perspective keeping the Veteran’s well-being and best interest in mind.
- Use of research-based treatments.
Our VA Values
Trust in the integrity of the VITAL Initiative and a commitment to its goals.
Respect, understanding and sensitivity to your unique concerns.
Excellence in service delivery.
Compassion in all that we do.
Commitment to the highest principles and ethics.
- Study skills and homework accountability strategies.
- Accessing campus and community based resources.
- Ally, advocate, and support with university processes (i.e., Financial Aid, Disability Resource Services).
- Establishing civilian goals and identifying new career choices.
- Reconnecting emotionally with family and friends as well as developing new supportive networks.
- Creating self-structure and maintaining balance to meet multiple demands and stressors.
- Healthy exercise, diet, and weight management.
- Sleep hygiene and interventions for insomnia, dreams, and nightmares.
- Relaxation training (i.e., meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and diaphragmatic breathing).
- Therapy for PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, and Substance Abuse.
- Education for college/university faculty and staff about Military & Veteran culture.
- Consultation for specific issues that may impact Veteran performance and retention in the classroom.
- Collaboration with college leadership, faculty, departments, and Veteran associated programs to further promote a Veteran supportive campus.