Program Educational Objectives and Student Outcomes
The career and professional accomplishments our program is preparing graduates to achieve are as follows:
- Our graduates engage in entry-level engineering or related employment or advanced education.
- Our graduates demonstrate competence and ongoing development in their technical and professional skills.
- Our graduates demonstrate continued growth in effective communication.
- Our graduates pursue their careers with integrity, service, and professionalism.
- Our graduates continue learning and they grow into positions of responsibility.
The Department adopted and added to the list of educational outcome assessment as stipulated by ABET (Criterion 3, outcomes a through k). Our Student Outcomes consist of the following:
- Outcome 1: A firm foundation and knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering principles and the ability to apply the knowledge (adapted from ABET outcome “a”).
- Outcome 2: An ability to design and conduct experiments and the ability to analyze the data, interpret results and draw conclusions (adapted from ABET outcome “b”).
- Outcome 3: The ability to design a component, system or process to meet desired needs and imposed constraints (adapted from ABET outcome “c”).
- Outcome 4: The ability to think logically, critically and creatively (outcome added by constituents).
- Outcome 5: The ability to work in multidisciplinary teams (adapted from ABET outcome “d”).
- Outcome 6: The ability to identify, formulate and solve civil engineering problems (adapted from ABET outcome “e”).
- Outcome 7: The ability to use appropriate modern techniques, skills and tools, including computer applications, necessary for engineering practice (adapted from ABET outcome “k”).
- Outcome 8: An understanding of professional ethics and integrity and an engineer’s responsibilities to the profession and society (adapted from ABET outcome “f”).
- Outcome 9: The ability to communicate effectively in written, oral and graphical forms (adapted from ABET outcome “g”).
- Outcome 10: Broad educational experiences that provide an awareness and understanding of the impact of engineering on global and societal issues (adapted from ABET outcome “h”).
- Outcome 11: A knowledge of contemporary issues (ABET outcome “j”).
- Outcome 12: Recognition of the importance of life-long learning and the benefits of being active in professional societies, such as ASCE (adapted from ABET outcome “i”).