Bioproducts, Sciences and Engineering Laboratory (BSEL)
The $24 million, 57,000-square-foot research and teaching laboratory was dedicated in May 2008. BSEL features the Biorefinery and the Combinatorial Catalysis Research Lab, plus a variety of laboratories and classrooms.
There are a number of construction features which contribute to making the Bioproducts, Sciences and Engineering Laboratory more energy efficient.
- Improved wall construction; thicker walls, vapor barriers, more insulation.
- Improved glazing; thermal break frames, energy efficient glazing.
- Improved roofing; more insulation, greater reflectivity.
- High efficiency boilers
- Water cooled chillers
- Day lighting; improved interior light levels, requires less artificial lighting.
- Improved building controls for HVAC system.
- High efficiency motors
- LED exit signs
- Heat recovery system in the building HVAC system
- Window shading on the west and south elevations
- Entry vestibules
- Building orientation
- Reclaimed wood for interior benches
- Recycled plastics for the exterior benches
- Straw board for the accent panels by the doors on the interior